My mum's been laid up after foot surgery and my pop had to take her for a doctor's appointment. While they were gone I found 3 Symphony milk chocolate with toffee bars and a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups that Mum had hidden behind a bunch of other stuff. It was work to get them but I succeeded and they were very yummy. Except maybe the foil on the Reese's wasn't so great.
I don't know why Mum and Pop were unhappy with me when they came home saw the wrappers on the floor. (I knew I should have eaten those wrappers. Get rid of all the evidence. I'm learning that!) My mum loves chocolate, I love chocolate. They seemed worried about me. Mum said chocolate is bad for dogs even though it's never hurt me before. Anyway, they called the vet and took me in to have me checked out. Hooray! I got to go somewhere!
What we all found out is that before milk chocolate is really dangerous, an Airedale can eat one ounce -- that's 1 ounce -- for every pound she weights. So that 24 ounces of milk chocolate I ate was nearly nothin'. I could have eaten 60 ounces! My mum says she can't understand why I wasn't sick. She said she could eat a lot of chocolate and not get sick but she couldn't eat 24 ounces. And, she said, I'm littler than her.
I had to eat special dog food that was really yummy but I didn't get very much of it at a time. And I'm out of luck now because they're hiding the chocolate even better than before and in higher places. They won't even let me look at it or sniff it! I knew I should've eaten those wrappers.
Remember, Airedale friends, eat just a little less ounces of chocolate than pounds you weight and you'll be fine.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
from Nancy, Hannah's mum:
Airedale moms and dads, hide your chocolate! Once your Airedale gets a taste for it, it's all over. She will climb ladders, jump through hoops, and dig to the ocean to get it. She may even learn to open cupboard doors!