Monday, May 20, 2019

National Rescue Dog Day

Today, May 20, is National Rescue Dog Day.  Our Hannah is a rescued Airedale so we're celebrating her today.


We rescued her (or perhaps she rescued us) 11 years ago when she was just two years old!   She turned 13 in March.   Hannah's the dearest Airedale ever and I love her to bits.

I'm beyond sad that her life is coming to an end as she deals with lymphoma, kidney disease, and another cancer.  She sleeps a lot and the past two days she's been moving slower than usual.  Last night, when I asked her if she wanted to go upstairs to bed, she said she did but then she wobbled and fell.  I knew I couldn't carry her up the stairs (or down in the morning) so she slept in the kitchen.  Today her balance seems good, though she continues to move slowly.  She enjoys her food and sometimes finds a toy to play with.  

I always thought it would be easier to know in advance that the end was coming but it's not.  It's just a different kind of pain to suffer through.

Dear Hannah has never liked to be photographed so we have very few good ones.  She pulls her ears back, or turns her head at the last minute, or just refuses to look at the camera or person holding the camera.  I'm grateful for the few good photographs we have!

If you have a rescue dog, celebrate today!

--Nancy.
.

4 comments:

  1. Hugs for you, Hannah and for you as well, Nancy♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes. I'm sorry you are feelin' that evil C invading Hannah. I wish I could wipe it from you, and you could stay with your peeps and make them happy furevers. Butts, what I can do, is send lots of loves and slobbery kisses and {{hugs}} you and your peeps way. Thinkin' of you
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to visit us. We hope you'll come back soon.