Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Quieting the Firecrackers' Snap, Boom, and Crack

This time of year -- from Memorial Day to the Fourth of July to Labor Day -- is an awful time for our Airedales.  In the U.S.A. firecrackers snap, boom, and crack many summer evenings, and summer storms frequent the days and nights with thunder and lightening.  So many Airedales are terrified by these unfamiliar sounds.  It has been so for our rescue girl, Hannah, too.

Hannah turned 12 in March.  Her eyebrows have grown blonde and her gait has slowed.  She needs a boost to get into bed and help to get off the bed. 

I noticed a week or two ago that Hannah doesn't respond when called or given a command.  At first I thought she was ignoring me but as I've watched her these past weeks I've realized that she has lost most (and maybe all) of her hearing.  My dear Hannah is deaf!  (I now live with a nearly deaf husband and a deaf Airedale!)  I'm grateful that I taught hand commands along with voice commands because, it seems, that's the only way to communicate with my deaf Airedale.

There is one very small blessing to Hannah's deafness:  neither fireworks nor thunder cause her the least concern.  I'm grateful for this peace for her.

Hug your Airedales!

--Nancy.
.


4 comments:

  1. We are so happy that you are not bothered by thunder storms and fireworks, Hannah. You are such a beautiful AireGirl♥
    I spent 3 hours on mom's lap while she watched the movie Jaws. Thank goodness for mom's lap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great your mom let you sit on her lap all that time and that it was a comfort. When I used to hear I just wanted to stand alert and I panted a lot when there were firecrackers or thunder.

      Delete
  2. Luckily i don't mind the fireworks, well, except for the REALLY LOUD booms, then I bark, cause that's just rude. anyhu, I'm glads there is a positive to your hearing loss Hanna. Don't worries though, my Gpa had LOTS of hearing loss, and refuses to wear the hearing aids (which drives Ma kerazy!). And Ma thinks that I am starting to lose a little of my hearing too. I thinks she's fibbing, butts whatevs.
    I am so glads you have such a loving and FABulous Moms!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ruby. My pop is losing his hearing and now my mum thinks it's hard to live with two of us without hearing.... I hope you're not losing your hearing, Ruby, because it's really lonely when you can't hear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to visit us. We hope you'll come back soon.